Feeling tired, lethargic and exhausted? Why not reach for a stimulant laced beverage like an espresso or energy drink…
Well first ask yourself why you need energy. How did you sleep last night? Not very well? Ok, well why not?
- Why am I tired?
- Did I go to bed at a reasonable time?
- Did I eat a healthy balanced diet the day before?
- Am I stressed?
- Can I get to bed earlier tomorrow night?
- Then ask yourself, what can I do to stop myself from being so tired?
Let’s Fix It:
- Go to Bed Earlier – a simple one, but sometimes the simple things are the best.
- Wake up Later – Another simple one but if you prepare for the day the night before, you’ll have more time in the morning to sleep.
- Power Naps – I for one find myself tired because I work long hours so power naps of 20-30 minutes are essential and bring me from being a zombie to human again, albeit for a few hours.
- Eat Real Food – Never underestimate the power of healthy natural foods, as covering all your nutritional requirements means you will function more optimally.
- Exercise – It’s a great way to start the day, but also a great way to end the day as well. Exercise can make you tired (depending on the type of training) but also it can help to relieve stress which may be keeping you awake.
- Relax – Meditating, day dreaming, listening to calming music and pondering next to a pond.
- Reading – A bedtime ritual like reading can help send you off to sleep, especially if it’s a book “written” by a talentless television celebrity.
Hide the Gadgets – Put away your mobile phone or tablet whilst you’re in bed because the blue light it emits disrupts your circadian rhythms.
- Have a Coffee – Yes, you read that right. Sometimes you just don’t have the time to sleep because of work or family commitments so coffee and energy drinks certainly have their place, but relying on them for energy all of the time will not be good for your health in the long term. Your body is tired for a reason, listen to it.
Remember, our body has a very large amount of energy storage so don’t worry, you’re not going to run out, unless you find yourself stranded in the desert somewhere which is unlikely, and even if that does happen I’m sure you’d find a tasty scorpion to keep you going.